I have said this before, but I’m really feelin’ it this week… I am SO glad I’m not a web conferencing technology vendor! In case you haven’t been keeping up with industry news lately, check out these headlines:
- March 25: Stream57 Launches StreamLine 3.0 Webcasting Software Suite and e-Symposia Virtual Meeting Platform
- March 26: PrismStream, Inc. Announces Launch of www.prismstream.com – An Innovative Web Collaboration Tool and Social Networking Utility
- March 30: Premiere Global releases new employee comms solution to assist rapid company-wide comms
- April 1: New version of Huddle launches, phone and web conferencing included
- April 2: PeerPort and Onstream Media’s Infinite Conferencing Division Revolutionize Audio and Web Conferencing Services
- April 2: Dimdim Releases Version 5, Makes Meeting on the Web Easier
- April 2: Next Generation Technology for Webinars Released
It’s getting awfully hard to differentiate yourself from the web conferencing pack and to offer something unique. The market for small collaborative meeting software is rapidly heading to a pure play commodity, with many solutions already available for free.
“Good enough” isn’t going to be good enough to survive the new battlefield. The low end is filled with cheap and free solutions. We’re looking at a clear case of survival of the fittest.